Here’s a look at the Week 3’s slate of games in the Championship. We’ll update this with results as the games progress. The number in parenthesis before each team is their current spot in my Weekly Power Rankings. Home teams are listed first, and winners will be indicated in bold. In the event of a draw, both teams will be placed in italics.
This week begins with a match on Friday, 17 August 2018,and concludes with a match on Sunday. No extra matches this week, but next week will see all but four teams playing two games due to other English competitions.
Friday, 17 August 2018
7:45pm BST/2:45 pm EST
(22) Birmingham City 0-0 (1) Swansea City
Saturday, 18 August 2018
3pm BST/10am EST
(20) Bristol City 0-2 (3) Middlesbrough
(21) Hull City 0-1 (19) Blackburn Rovers
(15) Ipswich Town 1-1 (4) Aston Villa
(2) Leeds United 2-0 (18) Rotherham United
(13) Millwall 2-1 (8) Derby County
(24) Reading 0-1 (11) Bolton Wanderers
(9) Sheffield United 2-1 (16) Norwich City
(7) West Bromwich Albion 7-1 (23) Queens Park Rangers
(10) Wigan Athletic 2-2 (12) Nottingham Forest **MATCH OF THE WEEK**
5:30pm BST/12:30pm EST
(6) Preston North End 2-2 (14) Stoke City
Sunday, 19 August 2018
3:00pm BST/10:00am EST
(5) Brentford 2-0 (17) Sheffield Wednesday
Based on the Power Rankings, this week could lead to a lot of shakeups if some of the lower ranked teams can manage to pull out wins. Though the combined rankings of the teams is a bit more than the lowest pair (Ipswich Town versus Aston Villa), I have decided that the Match of the Week is Wigan versus Forest, a match that should be a good indicator of where both teams are this early in the season.
Reading and Queens Park Rangers are both looking for their first points of the season, with Reading perhaps most likely to gain at least a point at home against Bolton Wanderers. There are three teams with two wins (Swansea City, Leeds United, and Aston Villa) and no wins or draws, and they seem poised to end the weekend with no less than a draw based on rankings alone.
Until next time…
Last update: 19 August 2018, 11:30pm EST