Here’s a look at Week 5’s slate of games in the Championship. We’ll update this with results as the games progress. The number in parenthesis before each team is their current spot in my Weekly Power Rankings. Home teams are listed first, and winners will be indicated in bold. In the event of a draw, both teams will be placed in italics.
Only one match per team this week, and play begins Friday and ends on Sunday.
Friday, 31 August 2018
7:45pm BST/2:45pm EST
(1) Leeds United 0-0 (2) Middlesbrough **MATCH OF THE WEEK**
Saturday, 1 September 2018
3pm BST/10am EST
(22) Birmingham City 0-0 (21) Queens Park Rangers
(4) Brentford 2-1 (11) Nottingham Forest
(20) Hull City 1-2 (6) Derby County
(16) Preston North End 2-2 (5) Bolton Wanderers
(23) Reading 1-2 (12) Sheffield Wednesday
(3) Sheffield United 4-1 (8) Aston Villa
(7) West Bromwich Albion 2-1 (18) Stoke City
(10) Wigan Athletic 1-0 (17) Rotherham United
5:30pm BST/12:30pm EST
(19) Millwall 1-2 (9) Swansea City
The Match of the Week will be the top of the table battle between Leeds United and Middlesbrough on Friday night. Leeds are currently the early favorite due to the match being contested at Elland Road. Middlesborough will be hoping to garner at least a point in this one to keep things tied at the top, but would be even more pleased with a victory on the road.
On the other end of the table/Power Rankings, Birmingham City and QPR are kicking off in Birmingham looking to move out of the early season relegation zone. QPR picked up their first points over the weekend in a win over Wigan, while Birmingham could only manage a draw against Nottingham Forest. Birmingham will be looking for their first win at home, while QPR hopes to keep the points coming, especially as they recover from that dreadful 7-1 loss to West Bromwich Albion – which isn’t helping in the point differential department – a few weeks ago.
Until next time…
Last update: 2 September 2018, 1:00pm EST