Welcome to the SportMuse hub of the 2019-2020 season of the English Premier League! If you want more detail on any of the English Premier League teams competing this season check out our rundown of the teams (and their transfers in/out)! We also have all histories of all the current Premier League Managers! Make sure to check out the FAQs section for all your English Premier League questions!
The founding of the Premier League was in February 1992. It is officially named the “Premier League,” often predated by the current sponsor (if there is one). However, it is often referred to as the English Premier League or the EPL. Throughout its history, only six clubs have won the Premier League; Manchester United (13 times), Chelsea (five times), Manchester City (four times), Arsenal (three times), Leicester (once), and Blackburn Rovers (once).
The number of League winners is in stark contrast to the number of teams that have played in the Premier League since inception. As of the conclusion of the 2018-2019 season, there have been 49 teams that have taken part in the League. Some commentators have decried this gap as bad for soccer because not everyone has a fair chance (or a billionaire to bankroll the team). However, the most significant concerns are between the English Premier League and the Sky Bet Championship because of the substantial differences in revenue. Championship teams struggle more and more frequently either trying to make it to the English Premier League or are unable to remain, and their balance sheets go substantially negative.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When does the English Premier League start for 2019-2020?
- This season begins with the first match on August 9, 2019. The season will end May 17, 2020.
Who won the English Premier League in 2019?
- Manchester City won the previous two years (2017-2018 and 2018-2019) English Premier League Titles back-to-back.
How many games in an English Premier League season?
- Each team will play 38 games, for a total of 760 games played.
When does the Premier League Transfer Window Open? Close?
- There are two standard transfer windows
- Summer: May 16, 2019, until 5 pm BST August 8, 2019
- Winter: January 1, 2020, until 5 pm BST January 31, 2020
Who are the English Premier League top scorers?
Who has the most English Premier League Assists?
Is there a Premier League Team Map?
- We’ve built a map showing where all of the Premier League Teams are located.